SIMULATION OF THE PROCESS OF FORMING THE EDGE AND MIXING THE COMPONENTS OF THE COMPOST MIXTURE WITH A SINGLE-DRAMED AERATOR
Elchyn Aliiev – Doctor of Technical Sciences, Senior Researcher, Professor of the Departments of Mechanization of Production Processes in Animal Husbandry of Dnipro State Agrarian and Economic University (St. S. Efremova, 25, Dnipro, Ukraine, 49000, e-mail: email@example.com, https://orcid.org/0000-0003-4006-8803).
Sergey Pavlenko – Ph.D., associate professor, senior research fellow of National University of Life and Environmental Sciences of Ukraine (вул. Героїв Оборони, 15, м. Київ, Україна, 03041, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, https://orcid.org/ 0000-0003-3352-5797).
The most widespread approach for implementing the technological process of organic compost production involves using mobile aerator-mixers of the rotary-drum type. Based on the analysis of various designs of mechanized composting equipment from previous theoretical and experimental studies conducted by renowned scientists, as well as our own research, it has been established that mechanized compost production requires further investigation. The analysis revealed that rotary drum-blade working elements are efficient. However, there is insufficient research on the dependencies of changes in the height of the pile during formation, indicators of homogeneity and structure of the mixture, energy consumption during the operation of drum-blade working elements in relation to the rotation frequency, working element's linear velocity, and geometric parameters of the blades. Additionally, changes in the bulk density, mixture structure, and temperature distribution within the pile under the influence of the working elements have not been investigated. This highlights the relevance of conducting research in the chosen direction.
The analysis of developed models for the interaction of the working element with the compost mixture has shown that they cannot be used to assess the quality of mixing and pile formation, as it is necessary to consider the movement of discrete particles that make up the compost mixture. The mathematical description of the movement of discrete elements is achievable using modern CAE (Computer-Aided Engineering) systems, and one such system is Simcenter Star-CCM+.
Through numerical simulation of the technological process of pile formation and mixture mixing, an argumentation of the constructive and technological parameters of the working element of a single-drum aerator was conducted.
To construct the physical-mathematical model of the compost mixing and pile formation processes, the following mesh and physical models were utilized: meshless DEM (Discrete Element Method), solution interpolation, Lagrangian multiphase, unsteady implicit, DEM, multiphase interaction, gravity force, and boundary forces of DEM.
As a result of simulating the compost mixture mixing process using a single-drum blade working element, dependencies of the height (H') and width (L') of the formed pile on the rotation frequency (n), linear velocity of the working element (V), and the blade's inclination angle (ξ) were established. A mathematical expression in the form of second-order regression equations was derived, linking the coefficient of variation of mixing quality (δ) with the research factors. Solving the compromise problem using the Wolfram Cloud software package allowed us to determine the rational parameters for the working element: rotation frequency (n) of 237 rpm, linear velocity (V) of 0.15 m/s, and blade inclination angle (ξ) of 15.8°. Consequently, the coefficient of variation of mixing quality (δ) was found to be 0.51, and the width (L') and height (H') of the formed pile were 1.23 m and 1.54 m, respectively.
1. Epstein, E. (2011). Industrial Composting. Environmental Engineering and Facilities Management. CRC Press, 338 p. Retrieved from: http://ndl.ethernet.edu.et/bitstream/123456789/24537/1/ Industrial%20Composting-%20Environmental%20Engineering%20and%20Facilities%20Management %282011%29.pdf
2. Li, Z., Miito, G. J., Lim T. T. (2020). Mixing-Vessel Composting System at a Large Swine Finishing Farm. Extension. University of Missouri. 12, 1–9. Retrieved from: https://extension.missouri.edu/media/wysiwyg/Extensiondata/Pub/pdf/agguides/ansci/g03402.pdf
3. Lyashenko, O. O., Movsesov, H. YE. (2007). Tekhnolohiya pryskorenoho biotermichnoho kompostuvahhya hnoyu z orhanichnym voloho pohlynalʹnymy vidkhodamy APK. Rekomendatsiyi. [Technology of accelerated biothermal composting of manure with organic moisture-absorbing agricultural waste. Recommendations]. Instytut mekhanizatsiyi tvarynnytstva UAAN. Zaporizhzhya: IMT UAAN, 32 p. [in Ukrainian].
4. Siles-Castellano, A. B., López-González, J. A., Jurado, M. M., Estrella-González, M. J., Suárez-Estrella, F., López, M. J. (2021). Compost Quality and Sanitation on Industrial Scale Composting of Municipal Solid Waste and Sewage Sludge. Appl. Sci, 11, 7525. DOI: 10.3390/app11167525
5. Bondarenko, A. M., Kachanova L. S. (2016). Tekhnologii i tekhnicheskiye sredstva proizvodstva i primeneniya organicheskikh udobreniy: monografiya. [Technologies and technical means of production and use of organic fertilizers: monograph]. Zernograd: Azovo-Chernomorskiy inzhenernyy institut FGBOU VO Donskoy GAU. 224 p. [in Russian].
6. Khmyrov, V. D., Kudenko, V. B. (2011). Sovershenstvovaniye sredstv mekhanizatsii uborki navoza glubokoy podstilki: monografiya [Improving the means of mechanization of deep litter manure cleaning: monograph]. Michurinsk – naukograd RF. 125 p. [in Russian].
7. Holub, H. I., Kukharetsʹ, S. M., Marus, O. A., Pavlenko, S. I., Lopatʹko, K. H., Skorobohatov, D. V. (2017). Mekhaniko-tekhnolohichni osnovy protsesiv vyrobnytstva orhanichnoyi produktsiyi roslynnytstva. Monohrafiya. [Mechanical and technological bases of production processes of organic products of crop production.]. NUBiP Ukrayina. 431 p. [in Ukrainian].
8. Golub, G., Pavlenko, S., Kukharets, S. (2017). Analytical research into the motion of organic mixture components during formation of compost clamps. Eastern-European gournal of Enterprise Technologies, 3/1 (87), 30–35.
9. Holub, H. A. (2007). Ahropromyslove vyrobnytstvo yistivnykh hrybiv. Mekhaniko-tekhnolohichni osnovy: monohrafiya. [Agro-industrial production of edible mushrooms. Mechanical and technological basics: monograph]. Kyyiv. Ahrarna nauka. 332 p. [in Ukrainian].
10. Shevchenko, I. A., Lyashenko, O. O. (2008). Teoretychnyy analiz vplyvu konstruktyvnykh i rozmirnykh parametriv robochykh orhaniv na produktyvnistʹ kompostu valʹnoyi mashyny. Zb. nauk. pratsʹ «Mekhanizatsiya ,ekolohizatsiya ta konvertatsiya biosyrovyny u tvarynnytstvi». [Coll. of science works «Mechanization, environmentalization and conversion of bio-raw materials in animal husbandry»]. IMT UAAN, 1(1), 3–11. [in Ukrainian].
11. Linnyk, M. K., Ruban, B. O. (2011). Shlyakhy vdoskonalennya tekhnolohiy ta tekhnichnykh zasobiv pererobky orhanichnykh vidkhodiv tvarynnytstva ta ptakhivnytstva v orhanichni dobryva. Pratsi Tavriysʹkoho derzhavnoho ahrotekhnolohichnoho universytetu [Proceedings of the Tavri State Agricultural Technological University], 11 (5), 10–16. [in Ukrainian].
12. Aliiev, E., Pavlenko, S., Aliieva, O., Morhun, O. (2021). Accelerated biothermal composting of manure-compost mixture. Agraarteadus, Journal of Agricultural Science, XXXII (2), 169–181. DOI: 10.15159/jas.21.30
13. Aliiev, E., Pavlenko, S., Golub, G., Bielka, O. (2022). Research of mechanized process of organic waste composting. Agraarteadus, Journal of Agricultural Science, 2022, XXXIII (1), 21–32. DOI: 10.15159/jas.22.04
14. Senchuk M. M. (2020). Tekhnolohichne proektuvannia v orhanichnomu vyrobnytstvi: Navchalno-metodychnyi posibnyk dlia samostiinoi roboty ta praktychnykh zaniat studentiv ahrobiotekhnolohichnoho fakultetu [Technological design in organic production: Educational and methodological guide for independent work and practical classes of students of the Faculty of Agro-Biotechnology]. BNAU. Bila Tserkva. 94 s. [in Ukrainian].
15. Linnyk M. K., Senchuk M. M. (2012).Tekhnolohii i tekhnichni zasoby vyrobnytstva ta vykorystannia orhanichnykh dobryv: monohrafiia [Technologies and technical means of production and use of organic fertilizers: monograph]. Nizhyn. 248 s. [in Ukrainian].
16. Shevchenko I. A., Kharytonov V. I., Aliiev E. B. (2011). Rezultaty eksperymentalnykh doslidzhen zmishuvacha-aeratora kompostiv [Results of experimental studies of compost mixer-aerator]. Zb. nauk. prats IMT NAAN «Mekhanizatsiia, ekolohizatsiia ta konvertatsiia biosyrovyny u tvarynnytstvi», 2(8): 80–88. [in Ukrainian].
17. Holub, H. A. (2005). Modelʹ barabanno-palʹtsevoho rozpushuvacha kompostu z nakhylom palʹtsiv. Mekhanizatsiya ta elektryfikatsiya silʹsʹkoho hospodarstva [Mechanization and electrification of agriculture]. Hlevakha, 89, 212–219. [in Ukrainian].
18. Shevchenko, I. A., Kovyazin, O. S., Kharytonov, V. I. (2010). Mekhaniko-matematychna modelʹ protsesu rozvantazhennya barabannoho orhanu dlya zmishuvannya kompostnykh materialiv ta mekhanichnoyi aeratsiyi. Mekhanizatsiya, ekolohizatsiya ta konvertatsiya biosyrovyny u tvarynnytstvi. Zbirnyk naukovykh pratsʹ instytutu mekhanizatsiyi tvarynnytstva UAAN [Mechanization, environmentalization and conversion of bio-raw materials in animal husbandry. Collection of Scientific Works of the Institute of Livestock Mechanization of the Ukrainian Academy of Sciences], 1 (5, 6), 248–265. [in Ukrainian].
The journal "Vibrations in engineering and technology" presents materials on the following issues
• Theory of processes and machines
• Mechanical Engineering and materialprocessing
• Processing and food production
The journal "Vibrations in Engineering and Technologies" is included in the list of technical scientific publications of Ukraine
(Category "B", Order of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine dated July 2, 2020 No. 886)
Old version of the site: http://vibrojournal.vsau.edu.ua/
The journal "Vibrations in Engineering and Technology" is indexed by the following databases and catalogs:
The certificateof massmedia State registration:kv no 16643-5115 from 30.04.2010 .
Founder of the journal: Vinnytsia National Agrarian University
Kind of publication: journal
Type of publication : Scientific
Publication status: Domestic
Year of founding:
Periodicity: 4 times a year
Extent: 18.75 nominal printed pages
ISSN: 2306-8744 (printed version), (online)
Language of edition : (mixed languages) Ukrainian, English
The scope of the distribution and the category of readers: national, foreign, teaching staff, scientists, businessmen.
Periodical is included in the list of scientific professional editions of Ukraine approved by the Order of Ministry of Education and Sciences of Ukraine from 21.12.2015 No. 1328.
The journal "Vibrations in engineering and technology" is included in the "Catalogue of periodicals of Ukraine".
Journal subscription can be executed in each post office department.
Subscription Index is 99720.
Old version of site: http://vibrojournal.vsau.edu.ua/
In June 1994 the 2nd International Scientific and Technical Conference "Application of vibrations for technological purposes" was organized on the basis of Vinnytsia State Agricultural Institute. Leading experts in this field, noting the significant contribution to the school of Vibration Engineering under the leadership of P. S. Bernyk, proposed to create a professional all-Ukrainian scientific and technical journal "Vibration in engineering and technology..The journal was foundedat Vinnytsia State Agricultural Institute and P.S. Bernyk was elected to be the chief editor .
For all these years (since 1994) theJournal "vibration in engineering and technology" published 94 issues wherestudy of vibration effects, the creation of progressive energy saving technologies and equipment for their implementation were highlighted.
Currently Kaletnik H.M PhD , professor, academician NAAS is the chief editor of the "Vibrations in engineering and Technology"
The journal "Vibration in Engineering and technology", which has no analogues on the territory of Ukraine, is well known abroad.